A Benchmade classic upgraded with G10 handles and premium steel.
The Griptilian is born of custom knifemaker Mel Pardue's passion for functional designs. You release the creature's ferocity with a thumb stud. At the very heart of the Griptilian, is the exclusive AXIS locking mechanism. This modern marvel gives life to a cutting tool like you have never experienced before, especially in a lightweight folder. Rock-solid ambidextrous function is sure to tame the most die-hard of traditionalists. And you can grab onto the lightweight, handle with its grip-textured surface and rib covered spine that grabs you right back for a "can't let go" grip. The model 556-1 comes with gray G10 handle scales, blue G10 accents, blue barrel spacers and a reversible deep carry pocket clip for right or left side carry. The blade steel has also been upgraded on this model to CPM-20CV stainless steel. CPM-20CV is virtually identical in chemical composition to Benchmade's current M390 steel but is made in the US by Niagara as opposed to Bohler which is based Austria. It offers better edge retention but is not quite as tough to resharpen as M390.
See all Benchmade Griptilians here.
- Ambidextrous Thumb-Stud Opener
- Lightweight G10 Handle
- Drop Point Blade Shape
- Multiple Configurations Available
- Country of Origin: USA
- AXIS A patented Benchmade exclusive, AXIS has been turning heads and winning fans ever since its introduction. A 100-percent ambidextrous design, AXIS gets its function from a small, hardened steel bar which rides forward and back in a slot machined into both steel liners. The bar extends to both sides of the knife, spanning the liners and positioned over the rear of the blade. It engages a ramped, tang portion of the knife blade when it is opened. Two omega style springs, one on each liner, give the locking bar it's inertia to engage the knife tang, and as a result the tang is wedged solidly between a sizable stop pin and the AXIS bar itself.
- Blade Length: 2.91"
- Blade Thickness: 0.100"
- Blade Material: CPM-20CV Stainless Steel
- Blade Hardness: 59-61HRC
- Blade Style: 551 Modified Drop-Point; Ambidextrous Thumb-Studs
- Weight: 2.90 oz.
- Clip: Deep-Carry, Reversible, Tip-Up
- Lock Mechanism: AXIS
- Overall Length: 6.78"
- Closed Length: 3.87"
- Handle Thickness: 0.55"
- Class: Blue